What Song Do You Want Played At Your Funeral?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A grey Monday in January, the perfect time to dwell on death, loss and communal grief right? For whatever reason, (and London’s current exhibition Death: Southbank Centre’s Festival for the Living is probably a factor, as was Rebecca’s Songs About Death Listomania last week) we’ve been picking our perfect signing out songs.

There’s a variety of ways you can bow out and head off to the great gig in the sky. Have a rummage online and funeral song suggestions seem to fall broadly into four categories: the celebratory, the tearjerkers, the literal (Brian Eno’s ‘An Ending (Ascent)’, The Doors’ ‘The End’, ‘Stairway To Heaven’, ‘Knocking On Heaven’s Door’), and the comedy (‘Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life’, ‘The Final Countdown’, ‘Highway To Hell’).

Link

Only a scant few people did a funeral song when I was coming of age but now it's de rigueur. I personally haven't thought about this in years but my ideas for funeral songs have been all over the map. From the predictable Dylan, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and even a dying Cabaret song from the movie of the same name.

Now that I am approaching another milestone birthday this fall, I should look at this again and find the perfect song. Do I go for comedy? A tear jerker? Suggestions? Or have you heard a good goodbye song?

1 comments:

Lima Sun Feb 12, 01:44:00 PM EST  

Was thinking the other day that I want Always Look on the Bright Side of Life too. Best funeral ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHk9WC7fnQ

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP