Monday, May 29, 2006

Green Helll - "I am trying to kill my lawn. All 7000 square feet of it. Few things are as stupid as being enslaved to the idea of having your yard look like the top of a billiard table. Perhaps the same sadists that invented the contemporary suburb also invented the lawn. Like the suburbs, where it proliferates like a noxious weed, the lawn serves no purpose, looks sterile, wastes labour and pollutes."

"I am attempting to eliminate the monstrosity that I have inherited when I bought my house and replace it with wild flowers, herbs, and fruit-bearing shrubs. But I am not alone in this endeavor."

link

Eat Your Lawn - Of the 30 most commonly used lawn pesticides, 29 are toxic to birds, fish, amphibians and/or bees. Environmental groups have raised the biggest clamor over the herbicide 2,4-D, which a growing number of studies show to be a possible contributor to non-Hodgkins lymphoma and other cancers.

link

Edible Landscapes
"Last summer, my family and I removed our front lawn and replaced it with an edible landscape of fruit trees, berry bushes, herbs and other plants as part of a project by our local art center and Los Angeles artist/architect Fritz Haeg."

"We've been asked plenty of questions about this move, the two most common being,"

'What do your neighbors say?' and 'Has the city fined you?'

"Our answers: 'They like it' and 'No.'"

link

Can I get an amen?

3 comments:

Anonymous Tue May 30, 09:06:00 AM EDT  

Oh yeah, baby. We're right there.

Especially since our water bill is roughly $85-95 per month and we live in the high desert. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to put in the front yard, but the back yard is slowly getting non-green.

FunkyMama Tue May 30, 01:44:00 PM EDT  

sounds good ... it'd give my husband one less thing to complain about with each passing dandelion.

Sudeaux Lux Tue May 30, 04:29:00 PM EDT  

I know it's not doable for everybody when you already have a lawn, but you can begin thinking about alternative routes to grass. And if you're thinking about making changes in your yard area someday you might consider growing fruit trees, planting a garden of veggies or wildflowers or even grape vines.

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP