The Big Strawberry Rip-Off

Friday, April 24, 2009

The Big Strawberry Rip-Off

I'm mad as hell at strawberries and I'm not going to take it anymore.

Just because I buy my strawberries off the back of a truck and the guy, smiling, tells me "these came all the way from South Carolina" doesn't mean they're going to taste like strawberries should taste.

Just because I buy strawberries when they're a beautiful shade of red also doesn't mean jack.

I'm sick of being ripped off buying strawberries this year but I have to take part of the blame as a consumer because I should be more savvy and pro-active.

I should NOT be buying strawberries in February, March, April, and May.

I know they've been gassified and hydroponicked and it really pisses me off that strawberry growers are allowed to deceive the consumer on such a scale each year.

I yearn for a time when a red strawberry meant that it was ripe and tasted sweet. Now they are hard and sour but you can't tell by looking at the packaging.

And question-- why are they the only fruit that's locked up like a dvd?

2 comments:

Jill Fri Apr 24, 06:08:00 PM EDT  

I can't pick out fruit ever...I smell it, thump it, look at the color...and it always tastes like a lot of nothing. I finally started growing my own tomatos last year. They are heavenly!

Jake Dillon Sun Apr 26, 03:21:00 PM EDT  

Good bleeping questions.

If the Strawberries were so hermetically sealed maybe we would be able to tell there are taste-less, smell-less hopeless facsimiles of what Strawberry should be.

I know it is a fortune but I only by local now. It is such a waste not to. And, here is WA Strawberries are only around in July and maybe August.

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP