Saturday, May 6, 2006

SCENTS EVOKE SWEET MEMORIES
(or Incense, It's Not Just For Hippies)

Weirdpixie mentioned incense and I also began thinking about it -- the different types and scents, my favorites and where I was when I first smelled it.

It comes in sticks, ropes, powder, coils, dhoops, wood chips, cones. And comes from India, China, Japan, and all over the world. You can light it for rituals or light it 'just because'.

I've enjoyed many scents from the basic cheap to the handmade expensive and I always return to sandalwood. Or a sandalwood mix. It loyally permeated the sixties with me and followed me into the next century. Sandalwood has the history and the memory factor that none of the others have.

My first sandalwood incense experience began at a head shop in Daytona Beach, Florida. The 'after dinner' crowd was shopping and people watching on the sidewalks next to the beach. My senses were riveted with sounds of motorcycles, music by the Tams, kids screaming for snow-cones, Moms sipping on Singapore Slings and the freaks were stopping in the head shop to buy some new music or a peace sign patch. I could smell the incense long before I could see the head shop. I go inside and buy a ring with a large red stone. I hear Surrealistic Pillow on the turntable and we discuss the songs and talk about Grace Slick. I stood out like a sore thumb in my small town, but these were my people and I feel a real kinship with them.

Anticipation surrounded me that summer night and I felt I was in the midst of a beautiful memory that would last a lifetime. Permeated in a young girl's adolescence and the smell of sandalwood.

7 comments:

Karen Sat May 06, 07:19:00 AM EDT  

Sense of smell is stronger than sight when it comes to memories. :-) It always amazes me.

Have a great weekend! *HUGS*

P.S. I'm doing SMM before I go back to bed.

SMM: blue satin chemise/comfy robe/major bed head/peanut butter crunch cereal/sleepy/no homework today for a month!/earned right to sleep in.

Sudeaux Lux Sat May 06, 11:06:00 AM EDT  

I had an early appointment and missed doing the SMM. But I love that you added it anyway, Karen. Glad you get to take it easy today.

nina h.pixie Sat May 06, 04:18:00 PM EDT  

hey there sooooz! send me your mailing address again (I know I probably have it from when I sent out Solstice cards last year, but just wanna be sure it's correct)-- I have something to send to ya! e: ninah@ubuibi.org

Mitch Sun May 07, 12:04:00 AM EDT  

I'm partial to vanilla incense. I love your story. :)

Anonymous Sun May 07, 03:36:00 PM EDT  

Nice - Sandalwood is on of my favourites. The best incense is Tibetan - or sometimes made in Nepal by expatriate Tibetan monks. Look for the stuff that is all-natural and says it's made from "28 ingredients" or "31 ingredients", etc. These contain a lot of both red and white sandalwood and they are cheap. If you can't find any in your neck of the woods, I can send you some or send you some links (not sure if I can post links here?)

Deb @ Sugarfused Sun May 07, 05:35:00 PM EDT  

I burn sandalwood incense quite often...it's my favorite scent.

Sudeaux Lux Mon May 08, 12:01:00 PM EDT  

Hello dear friends! Thanks for your comments.

Ninah: I sent my address to your other url--hope you got it alright.

Charles: I'll bet that any Tibetan incense is probably good. I've been ordering from a friend online. I think you can put a link in. Or email me (susan AT easybakecoven.net) if you get the chance. Either way.

Mitch: thank you for your kind words! Vanilla is also very nice. =)

Deb: Cool! Another sandalwood lover. Thanks for stopping by.

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP