Thursday, November 16, 2006

TRAFFIC JAMMING with the Stop Shopping Gospel Choir and the Not Buying It Band. Bring your own music, wear bright colors, wear Red. At least wear a Santa hat.

Traffic Jamming defined: That direct action in which citizens step into a roadway where cars and trucks are stopped, then preach and sing to the motorists while offering them information about global warming and how it's caused by buying and driving cars.

ReverendBilly.org


BUY NOTHING DAY
November 24, 2006, Friday

Every November, for 24 hours, we remember that no one was born to shop, we make a small choice to participate by not participating.

CONSUMERISM
Some of my friends really like to shop the sales. The bigger, the better. Generally I can't relate to the people who cheerfully get in line to buy more plastic doodads just to be buying something. Masses blindly following advertising commands and hype as they empty their wallets and then will borrow more money to follow more advertising commands and hype as they....

So, why am I really shopping? Do I need to buy this item, or am I shopping because the television told me to go forth and consume mass quantities of doodads?

4 comments:

Anonymous Fri Nov 17, 06:11:00 AM EST  

I am with you. I do not shop just to shop. Unless I am in the dollar store. Then I kinda wander around amazed at the things you can get for $1 that are lots more expensive at other stores.

Anonymous Sat Nov 18, 12:21:00 PM EST  

Bless you for showing me Rev Billy.
A preacher I can follow.

Sudeaux Lux Sat Nov 18, 12:24:00 PM EST  

I have an aunt who goes to all these sales in Atlanta and she has more junk stored and rents storage units just to put, like, 25 cases of paper towels, and just more crap she gets on sale. It's unbelievable. When I was young, she'd take me with her to so I could push another cart for her to fill. Amazing!

Sudeaux Lux Sat Nov 18, 12:25:00 PM EST  

Thanks for stopping by, Dave!

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP