Sunday, September 8, 2002

Smoking In The Girl's Room

It really doesn't seem that long ago since I was in high school. But it was [1967-1970]. And it was a different world. One of the major changes I've noticed is 'No Smoking'. I imagined my daughter walking into a smoky bathroom at her high school and before I could fast forward my head to this millenium, she quickly informed me that tobacco of any kind is no longer allowed. That startled me. Because smoking was such a rite of passage for my generation. There were designated spots outside on school grounds for smoking between classes. And when I went to work after school, an ashtray on my desk was as normal as my telephone or pencil holder. Later, studies came out against smoking, and the cessation of smoking in public places began. Even though I live in North Carolina, tobacco country, where the tobacco news is sometimes slanted, I heard about all the lawsuits against the industry. When I was younger, it didn't occur to me that I'd be discussing the days when we used to smoke at work and school. And maybe one day I can discuss the days when I used to smoke, period.


0 comments:

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP