Luc Besson’s Aung San Suu Kyi Biopic ‘The Lady’ Out Now In UK

Saturday, December 31, 2011


I have GOT to see this movie.

Michelle Yeoh Interview

‘The Lady’ is Luc Besson’s biopic about pro-democracy icon and Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi, starring Michelle Yeoh as Aung. Aung San Suu Kyi became an icon for democratic freedom after she spent 15 of the last 21 years under house arrest in Burma after leading the National League for Democracy in an election victory over the ruling military junta in 1990.

‘The Lady’ is the extraordinary story of Aung San Suu Kyi. It is a story of devotion and human understanding set against a backdrop of political turmoil that continues today. ‘The Lady’ was written over a period of three years by Rebecca Frayn. Interviews with key figures in Aung San Suu Kyi‟s entourage enabled her to reconstruct for the first time the true story of Burma‟s national heroine. ‘The Lady’ is out now in the UK.

How much did you know about Aung Suu before you embarked on this movie?

Michelle Yeoh: Coming from Malaysia we all know who Aung Suu is, but unfortunately because she’s been in and out of house arrest since 1988, we’ve really forgotten exactly the reasons why, who and what was truly involved. In the last three years, the news that came out was when the Americans swam into her compound and her house arrest was extended for another 18 months, and then news about her resurfaced. But by then, Rebecca Frayn had already finished the script and approached me when she finished her first draft of the script, and I knew this was not just a role of a lifetime, but an incredible story that really needed to be told. Fortunately Luc Besson came to my rescue (laughs), because I always believe that no matter how good a script is, if you don’t have a director who’s totally committed and dedicated to it, you won’t have a story that will come to life for the audience. That was very important to me, I lived and breathed her for the last four years. Everyday day, every night. I learned Burmese,. I slept with her, I woke up with her. Because it was necessary not just to mimic and give you a two-dimensional concept and feel for what she represented, of who she was, but to allow you to come into her world. A world so full of love and passion. I was submerged in it, I still think very much so.

Read More



0 comments:

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP