Mickey Rourke's Here To Stay

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Wrestler

I've talked about The Wrestler here before but I wanted to expand on why I'm so passionate about this film. I've been a fan of Mickey Rourke's for over 20 years.

From Body Heat, Rumble Fish, Diner, The Pope of Greenwich Village, oh man, Angel Heart --what can I say, to Barfly, a Bukowski story. "To all my frennns", character Henry says in the film. My husband and I still imitate our favorite scenes from Barfly. Mickey's portrayal was phenomenal or he'd lived through that crazy life before.

So a few years of unforgettable work from Mickey finally leads him to Sin City. The buzz about him is good now but people are still skeptical. When you tell Hollywood to collectively kiss your ass then come back and ask them for work you'll have to prove yourself all over again. If you even get the chance.

Mickey was about to get that chance with The Wrestler. Five long years of raising money to get this independent, labor of love made. Friend Bruce Springsteen wrote and gave them the song that closes the movie. (Why was it not nominated?)

In The Wrestler, Mickey Rourke creates a galvanizing, honest and tender portrait that easily puts it among the great, iconic screen performances and he certainly deserves the Best Actor win.

2 comments:

Sister Wolf Wed Feb 25, 02:14:00 AM EST  

I'm sorry!!!! Can you still love me?? Please?

Sudeaux Lux Wed Feb 25, 03:07:00 AM EST  

Sure, I love you. We don't agree on many things but I still love you.

I personally can relate to anyone's comeback story, except I didn't "come back" so much as I finally stopped drugs and alcohol and got it together after losing everything I had including one child and two houses.

I was rooting for Mickey before he pimped himself out to the media fuckathon which was a little much but I can't release him just because he's crass.

I've seen Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, and the Harvey Milk story. And for whatever you may think of him personally, Mickey's performance to me was far superior to anyone's I've seen so far this year.

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP