Honoring Dr King

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Honoring Dr King

This weekend many people are honoring the legacy of Martin Luther King, who was gunned down in Memphis, Tennessee, 40 years ago on April 4, 1968.

We know that he was a champion of non-violent protest for social change, and his writings and speeches still resonate for many activists. But I hope that people also know is that it was because of him that many of us found the courage to stand up and be counted.

I remember thinking as a teenager just how bold and brave he was to speak out in a white dominated society. I was thrilled. You were in such a minority to speak out against any injustice back then but he led by example and everybody was listening. He was so wise and passionate that we all felt called to follow him.

So it's not just that Martin Luther King, Jr, was a brilliant orator and facilitator-- he's all that and more, he is also who he is because he helped show us the way.

0 comments:

THE WEBSITE NAME

THE WEBSITE NAME
The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VIII

ABOUT EBC

It wasn't long after 9/11, September 11, 2001, that I began this website. I felt compelled to connect with other people around the globe. I had recently heard about "weblogs" or "blogs" and I dove right into Blogger.com. I searched for others to connect with online and I found Ageless. It led to meeting many great friends to discuss events of the day. From then on it snowballed. Most importantly we offered one another support and friendship across the globe; finding that we were just a few keystrokes away.

ASHEVILLE WLOS LIVECAM

    Blue Ridge Mtns-click for larger view

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP